I had an assignment in my psychology class called "Song of Self". We had to choose one song that really spoke to us, and then talk about it in class as to why we chose it, then play it. I chose "Best Mamgu Ever" by Underworld. But I also decided to make something called my "Soundtrack of Self" and put together a CD of songs that have spoken to me and have been important to me during my life. I made 12 copies of it (one for every person in the class) and this sheet explaining why I chose these songs. So, here you go.
1. Sigur Ros - Saeglopur (Yes, the lead singer is a guy) This song is beautiful, and at 1:53 in, you'll see why. This is a great band, and you should definitely listen to another song of theirs, "Star Lfur". I play this song whenever I want to think about all of the beautiful things I have in my life.
2. Daft Punk - Around the World - I must have played this song a hundred times in 1997. It was a very fun time in my life, and this song will always remind me of that.
3. Peter Martin - A Perfect Wave - My wife and I went to a concert in 2005 to see The Crystal Method and Paul Oakenfold. This is one of the songs Paul played in his set, and it just really stuck in my head. I ended making a music video to it. You can watch it at www.borbafett.net/flash.htm
4. Air - All I Need - I was living with my grandparents right after I graduated high school. I had just got my first computer, and heard this song on the radio. It was one of the first MP3's I ever downloaded. And at 2:45 into the song, I get goose bumps still. I love this song.
5. Moby - Porcelain - My wife and I moved to Los Angeles together in 1999 (Before we got married even! SINNERS!) This was one of the, if not the, first song that became one of "our songs". I could have put a LOT more Moby on this CD, but this song is perfect.
6. Prodigy - Firestarter - Prodigy is my absolute favorite band. If I could only listen to one type of music for the rest of my life, this would be it. The first time I heard this song was when I was watching MTV and saw them performing, at of all things, The Victoria Secret Fashion Show. Not exactly the type of venue for this band or song. But I was hooked. The Prodigy are my favorite band, and this is definitely one of my favorite songs by them.
7. Johnny Cash - Hurt - I love the lyrics to this song, and every time I listen to it, I am thankful for all of God's blessings in my life, and all of the things Jesus did and continues to do for me. Plus, it's Johnny Cash doing a Nine Inch Nails song. That's like God performing in a play that Satan is directing.
8. Brand New - You Won't Know - I downloaded this album for one of their other songs, "Jesus". But I let the whole album play, and although this song starts off rather slow, it absolutely kicks you're a** at about 1:38 in. It's a great song with great lyrics.
9. Live - Heaven - Live is one of my favorite bands. You could put their first four albums on consecutively, and not have to worry about hearing a bad song. This song though, really became special to me after the birth of my daughters. The lyrics are beautiful.
10. Massive Attack - Angel - There are quite a few, too many to count actually, songs that I pretend I'm in a movie acting out a scene while I'm listening to it. This is one of them. The first part of the song I am pretending to scope out the 20 bad guys in front of me, and how I'm going to win this battle. Then at 2:24 I pretend I've just engaged in a VERY slow motion fight with all of them. As the song goes on, I pretend the battle gets worse, and by the end of the song, I die. After hearing this song, I bet you'll be able to see that too.
11. Stereo MC's - Elevate My Mind - This was the very first cassette single I ever bought. I think I was in 6th grade. I played that tape until it wouldn't play anymore. This is just a fun song that reminds me of my youth.
12. Radiohead - Creep - This again, was one of the first MP3's I ever downloaded. I hadn't truly become an alternative music fan when I downloaded it, but after doing so, this song and this band turned me on to more music like it. Radiohead is a perfect band, and this is one of their best songs.
13. Editors - Munich - This is my happy song. It starts off great, and the lead singer has a cool European voice that really goes well with the lyrics. Anytime I need a pick me up or am already feeling great, I pop this song in.
14. Coldplay - Death and All of His Friends - July 11th, 2008 was the day I finally decided to answer God's calling in my life and become a pastor. I was driving in my car a LOT that day, and stopped at Best Buy to pick up Coldplay's new album. The album might be the best album I've ever listened to, and this song really spoke to me that day. I don't really know if I'm right or not, but to me, the lyrics of "I don't want to be around death and all of his friends" resonated with me that day when I heard them, because as a Pastor, I am going to be responsible for giving people life, bringing them away from death and all of their friends.
15. Underworld - Best Mamgu' Ever - This is the song from class that I played. I just absolutely love this song, and how it develops. The best part for me is at 4:24 in. This song takes me on a journey, and I like to think about my family and how much they mean to me. There's a beautiful story in this song, or at least that's how I put it into words. I just feel like this song starts off one way, then develops into something else. This is absolutely my favorite song of all time.